Thursday, September 10, 2020

This is the return of Vintage Internet. Some blogs I used to read are returning. There's one from Tao Lin. There's HTMLgiant. Seeing these blogs come back made me look at this blog again - I enjoyed reading through it and seeing some other version of myself and seeing some other version of others. Unfortunately, having read through some of these old blog posts, I see that I'm not as funny as I once was - I was never very funny, but I was sort of funny. I think it's because I turned forty this summer, and like all humans at forty, I'm no longer funny. I have to shave, put on clean underwear, and eat breakfast, along with preparing lunches consisting of organic lunch meat and organic fruits for small children. Such is my unfunny life - my children, when I make a funny face, stare at me with stricken, serious expressions. You're not funny, dad, they say. When I think something is funny and say it, say, to my students, they shake their heads in shame. I'm only good for mowing lawns and gazing longingly at trees. Even the other day, watching someone trip when taking a misstep off a sidewalk, thus spilling their bubble tea, I didn't laugh, but felt concern, compassion. Horrible. Forty.

So, this is going to be some very somber stuff, this new blog. 

Here is what is happening now:

We have moved back to a place we used to live in. From the mountains, back to a small city. Despite the seemingly unceasing flow of things to be done, we are practicing slowness. Un-busyness. Part of the reason we moved here was to slow our lives down. Less to do, fewer obligations, etc, and also because the forest where we lived was being stripped away by a construction company. So, we've returned. Eternal return. Return of this blog, return to this small city. 

Welcome back, all of you, and all of me. 


2 comments:

Tao Lin said...

Wondered if I was funny and felt that I was grumpy.

alan rossi said...

Lol, yes, "forty."